• hispanicheritagesa

Diez y Seis and Cinco de Mayo celebrations

San Angelo has a long tradition of Diez y Seis and Cinco de Mayo celebrations. In 1910 the raza held a grand centennial parade of 300 people, with floats and buggies, and a two-day festival at the Lake Concho Pavilion. People from miles around came to see the paintings of Mexican heroes and listen to a Mexican string band. By the 1920s the festivities in San Angelo followed a regular pattern. Every year the Mexican government called upon a Comisión Honorífica Mexicana to convene the Mexican-American people, who appointed a Comité Patriótico Mexicano to organize the celebrations that year. They chose a location convenient to the barrio and large enough to accommodate the affair. Early celebrations were held on the north side of San Angelo, near the Mexican-American neighborhood, but in the late 1920s the population shifted to a barrio on the south side. The program expanded to include more sporting events, such as baseball games, and school band concerts, oratory, and children's recitations. Radios, loudspeakers, public-address systems, and automobiles often complicated the event. Locations changed during the Great Depression. In 1946 Estanislado Sedeno, an active celebrant since 1932 and a member of the Comisión Honorífica and the Comité Patriótico Mexicano, was named Comisión president. He opened the 1946 celebration in his front yard at 113 W. Avenue N, and Sedeno Plaza was subsequently the site of the fiestas patrias events in San Angelo for twenty-seven years. On September 5, 1972, Estanislado Sedeno returned to Sedeno Plaza, and Mayor C. S. "Chic" Conrad proclaimed the date “Estanislado Sedeno Day.” - Handbook of Texas

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All